- About Harbor
- Mission & Vision
- Office of the President
- Office of Student Services
- LAHC Facts at a Glance
- Administration & Leadership
- Construction Updates
- Office of Academic Affairs
- Office of Administrative Services
- Office of Student Services
- Sheriffs/Emergency Info
- Sheriff's Department
- Distance Learning
- For Students
- Student Portal
- New Students
- Student Portal
- Admissions & Records
- Alpha Gamma Sigma
- Assessment Center
- Associated Students Organization
- Career Center
- Class Schedules & College Catalog
- Complaint Process Notice
- Child Development Center
- Financial Aid
- Financial Literacy
- Honors Transfer Program
- International Students
- Job Placement
- Life Skills Center
- Mental Health Project
- MyLACCD Financial Aid Card
- Special Programs & Services (DSPS)
- Student Activities
- Student Health Center
- Student ID Numbers
- Student Right to Know Rates
- Substance Abuse Policies & Prevention
- Student Success & Support
- Transfer Center
- Veterans' Services
- YouthSource Center
- If you are convicted of a drug-related felony after December 31, 1997, you cannot get CalWorks aid or other GAIN supportive services for yourself.
- Both one parent and two- parent families can get cash aid (In two-parent families, one of the parents must be disabled or have worked less than 100 hours in the last four weeks before applying for cash aid).
- Children must live with a related adult and be 18 years old or under.
- Identification with your name and current address on it. This can be a birth certificate, driver's license, California ID card
- Social Security Number or Card (or proof of application for the cards)
- Proof of income (like check stubs, a W2, or copy of your tax return
- Proof of citizenship, alien or immigration status for each person on the application that has it
- Proof of your housing situation (rent receipts, lease agreement, etc.)
- Auto payment papers and registration
- Letters from a doctor if anyone in the household is pregnant, disabled, has a special medical need or needs a special diet
- Any papers having to do with marriage, divorce, child support, or other circumstances that apply to your family
WHO CAN GET CASH AID?
Children and the adult relatives who care for them can get cash aid.
|# of people||Gross Income Limit|
WHAT CAN I GET?
Maximum Aid Payments
|# of people||"Nonexempt" Grant||"Exempt" Grant|
What Else is Available
In most cases are available the
next working day after applying.
An advance of up to $200 is available
at the time you apply.
|Homeless and Housing Assistance||This includes eviction prevention, temporary shelter, move-in costs, rent subsidy, and help with cost of moving.|
|Non-Recurring Special Needs||You can get up to $600 each time if you have to replace clothing, household items, and appliances due to fire, disaster, theft, etc.|
|Special Needs||Additional monies can be granted due to special needs such as a necessary special diet, transportation and utility costs due to a medical condition, or breast feeding.|
|Welfare to Work||Services such as counseling, job training, work educational assistance, money for tools, uniforms, childcare, transporation, and housing relocation.|
|Money for Pregnant Women||After 6 months of pregnancy if you have no other children on CalWorks, you may get a grant for one person ($359) plus an additional $47.|
|Child Support||You can an extra $50 a month if the parent pays at least $50 of child support to the County's Department of Child Support Services on time.|
HOW DO I APPLY?
You apply for CalWorks at the nearest DPSS (Department of Public Social Services) office. When you apply you have the right to be treated with courtesy and without discrimination for any reason.
1. Domestic Violence
If you are a victim of domestic violence, or suffering effects of past domestic violence tell the worker right away, because there are specially trained workers available to assist you with the problems you or your children may have. Also, you may have eligibility rules waived.
2. Special Help for the Disabled
If you have a physical or mental disability that makes it hard for you to go through the regular application process, DPSS must give you special help.
You have the right to turn in a written application on the day you go in. You will only get benefits as of the date you turn in the application. If someone tells you to come back without submitting the application, you may insist on filing an application.
You may bring someone along to help you. You will go over the form you filled out and will be asked for additional information. You should be given a list of documents that you will need to complete the application process. You may be given a "return appointment" to turn in papers.
All adults (age 18 and over) and teen parents must be fingerprinted in order to apply for and get CalWorks.
6. Next Steps
Keep in touch with your DPSS eligibility worker and write down his or her name, phone number, and phone hours. If you are asked to mail additional papers to the welfare office, ask the worker for a stamped envelope addressed to him or her. If you take in papers, get a receipt. Keep your own copy of all the paperwork.
7. Home Visits
A "home visit" is conducted when people apply for aid. DPSS should do this within 5 days of your return appointment. If you do not agree to the home visit, your application for CalWorks will be denied.
8. Electronic Benefits "EBT"
DPSS will give you an EBT "electronic benefits card" to use at banks, ATM machines and stores. If the last digit of your case number is 1 to 3, the money goes on your card the first day of the month. If the last digit of your case number is 4 to 7, the money goes on your card the second day of the month. If the last digit of your case number is 8 to 0 the money goes on your card the third day of the month. There is no charge for the first four "swipes" of the card each month, then an 85 cent charge for each use. Some ATM machines will charge a $1 or $2 fee to use the card. Ask you worker for a list of banks and ATMs near you that will not charge you a fee. Call (877) 328-9677 right away if the card is stolen, lost, or destroyed.
9.Getting Benefits by Check
If you have a bank account, you can choose to have your cash aid direct deposited automatically. Otherwise, you must use an EBT card. If you are disabled or have a hardship that will keep you from participating in EBT, you can ask that DPSS mail you a check.
HOW DO I KEEP GETTING CASH AID?
1. Report on a "QR-7"
Every quarter (every three months) you must report changes in income, property or the number of people in your household. DPSS will mail you a QR-7 report form for you to do this.
2. Report All Your Income and Gifts
You should be careful to report all income you get or changes in your family. The welfare department will check bank, employer, and tax records to check your income, and accepts tips of suspected "welfare fraud" from the public.
3. Participate in Welfare to Work Programs
Unless excused, all CalWorks participants must be working, looking for work, or going to training or school. You will have to participate in a program called GAIN.
4. Cooperate with Child Support Collection
Unless it could put you or your children in danger to do so, parents on cash aid must help ("cooperate with") the Child Support Agency ("CSA") to collect child support from any absent parent.
5. Get Immunizations ("Shots") For Your Children
When you apply for CalWorks or at your annual redetermination, you must show proof that your children under age 6 have had their shots. Failure to do so will result in cash aid being cut off.
6. Keep School-Age Children in School
If your child is under 16 and not attending school regularly without good cause, the adult's cash aid will be cut off.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WHEN I APPLY FOR BENEFITS?
When applying for CalWorks, bring the following documents with you. If you lack some of them, go ahead and apply, and get a list of documents to be brought in later. Ask the worker to help you obtain missing documents.
Los Angeles Harbor College Student Book Store is your place for official LA Harbor College merchandise & apparel, textbooks, supplies, snacks ,and high quality beverages & coffee.MORE>
If you would like to add into an online class that is already closed, you must contact the instructor to request permission to add. MORE>