What is CARE?
CARE is a California state funded program designed to recruit and assist single parent recipients of CalWORKs (formerly AFDC). CARE provides support services and/or grants funds to assist single parents in the realization of their academic potential.
Who is eligible for CARE?
You may be eligible for CARE if you:
- are accepted into EOPS, and
- are single and head of household, and
- have at least one child under 14 years of age, and
- receive CalWORKs (formerly AFDC), and
- are enrolled in at least 12 units upon acceptance, and
- are at least 18 years old, have been determined to lack marketable skills, have applied for financial aid, and have a need for child care, transportation, books and supplies, and/or counseling to attend college, and
- are pursuing an educational, vocational, or job training program at Los Angeles Harbor College which will lead to a certificate, degree, or transfer objective, and
- be available to attend a CARE orientation and meet with the CARE coordinator.
What services does CARE provide?
Services are provided to CARE students who have met all of the EOPS & CARE responsibilities.
- Gas Cards
- Cash Grants
- Book lending library
- Legal Advocacy
- Conferences/Workshops tailored to the needs of CARE students
- Resource Referrals
- CARE Networking
For more information about CARE, please contact Ms. Kaman Ng, CARE/CalWORKs Coordinator, at (310) 233-4404.