- How to Apply to a UC
- How to Apply to a CSU
- AB 540 University Application Fee Waiver Information
In some cases, students who meet certain criteria may be exempt from paying non-resident tuition at the California community colleges, the California State University and the University of California. The requirements include:
- Attendance at a California high school for three or more years
- Graduation from a California high school or equivalent
- An undcoumented student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he/she has filed an application to legalize his/her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible to do so.
- Students who are non-immigrants [i.e. F-visas (student) B-visas (visitor) etc]. are not eligible.
Additional requirements and information may be found in English or Spanish from the Mexican American Legal Defense ad Education Fund.
ATTENTION: AB 540 students applying for fall 2013 are eligible for the application fee waiver so long as they meet the income requirements. The student must choose “No Selection” in the drop down menu for “Country of Citizenship.” If the student selects their country of birth then the system may automatically disqualify them for the fee waiver. INSTEAD Choose “No Selection” and the application will not continue asking any further questions about visa status, etc.